Bonnycastle, Richard Henry, Sir, 1791-1847, Newfoundland in 1842 , 1842
Newfoundland in 1842 : a sequel to "The Canadas in 1841" / by Sir Richard Henry Bonnycastle ... ; in two volumes.
- London : Henry Colburn, publisher, Great Marlborough Street, 1842.
London : T.C. Savill, printer, 107, St. Martin's Lane
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF1122 .B66 1842Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- With wood-engraved title page vignettes.
Lithograps by W.L. Walton; after Lt. A. Thompson. Printed by Charles Joseph Hullmandel.
Printer's statement from foot of page 367.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 6332
Map of Newfoundland in 1842 in front pocket of volume 1.
"List of works hitherto published on Newfoundland": v. 2, p. -344.
BAC: British Art Center copy in 2 volumes. Bound in publisher's original red blind stamped cloth. Map in front pocket of volume 1.
Bonnycastle wrote several books which described the provinces in which he served as an officer, and later commander, of the Royal Engineers. This particular work, which is comprised of two volumes, focuses on Newfoundland; Bonnycastle's aim was to demonstrate the importance of Newfoundland as a British colony, and to provide an unbiased view of Newfoundland, as previous literature generally portrayed her as inhospitable and desolate. Volume one contains the general, political, natural, and physical history of Newfoundland, including information on the animals, vegetation, agriculture, and geology of the province, as well as the climatology and meteorology of the island, while volume two contains the moral history of Newfoundland and information on the province's current political economy, modern geography, and topography.
- Subject Terms:
- Newfoundland and Labrador -- Description and travel.Newfoundland and Labrador -- History.Newfoundland and Labrador -- Politics and government.Newfoundland and Labrador -- Social life and customs.
Lithographs -- 1842.
Engravings -- 1842.
Stipple engravings -- 1842.
- I. Political and general history of Newfoundland. Natural history. Physical history
- II. Physical history (contin.) Moral history, Political economy. Modern geography and topography. Appendix.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.