Francis, C. R. (Charles Richard), 1821-1901, To India and back by the Cape , 1859
- To India and back by the Cape / by a traveller ; with numerous drawings on wood and stone, by John Corbet Anderson.
- Croydon : Published by John C. Anderson, 1859.
- Physical Description:
- , 28 p., 18, [i.e. 19] leaves of plates : ill. ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG137 .A53 1859+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- By C.R. Francis.
Includes wood-engraved illustrations, and a map, within the text; two of these are signed: W. Earl.
Printed by W. H. Crockford, Blackheath Road, Greenwich.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 524
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's blind- and gilt-stamped green cloth. Armorial Bookplate: R.H. Shaw. Lacks list of subscribers.
- Lithographs: 1. Madeira -- 2. Teneriffe -- 3. Crossing the line -- 4. Off Martin Vas, and Trinidad -- 5. Trastan da Cunha -- 5a. Off the Cape, in 40° south, sighting an iceberg -- 6. The Mauritius -- 7. Ceylon -- 8. Madras -- 9. At the sand-heads -- 10. Calcutta -- 11. Bombay -- 12. After a hurricane, off the Mauritius -- 13. Off the Cape -- 14. Table Bay -- 15. St. Helena -- 16. Ascension -- 17. Home -- 18. (Thirteen figures of sea creatures).
- Subject Terms:
- Anderson, John C. -- Publisher.Atlantic Ocean -- Description and travel.Crockford, W.H. -- Printer.Indian Ocean Region -- Description and travel.Shaw, R. H. -- Bookplate.Voyages and travels.
- Travel literature.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
Wood engravings -- 1859.
Lithographs -- 1859.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1859.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.