South African sketches : illustrative of the wild life of a hunter on the frontier of the Cape Colony / by Captain H. Butler, 59th reg.
- London : Published by Ackermann and Co., 1841.
- Physical Description:
- 15,  p., XV leaves of plates : ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 77Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Printed by Charles Wood, London.
Fifteen lithographed plates, comprised of 31 vignetttes, mostly two on each plate (1 colored and 1 uncolored).
With an added lithographed title page.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 336
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 126
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 164
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 54
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original blind- and gilt-stamped moiré blue cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackerman and Co. -- Publisher.Eastern Cape (South Africa) -- Description and travel.Hunting -- South Africa.Wood, Charles -- Printer.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1841.
Lithographs -- 1841.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.