IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Butler, Henry, Captain, South African sketches , 1841
South African sketches : illustrative of the wild life of a hunter on the frontier of the Cape Colony / by Captain H. Butler, 59th reg.
- London : Published by Ackermann and Co., 1841.
- Physical Description:
- 15,  p., XV leaves of plates : ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 77Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Printed by Charles Wood, London.
Fifteen lithographed plates, comprised of 31 vignetttes, mostly two on each plate (1 colored and 1 uncolored).
With an added lithographed title page.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 126
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 164
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 54
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 336
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original blind- and gilt-stamped moiré blue cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackerman and Co. -- Publisher.Eastern Cape (South Africa) -- Description and travel.Hunting -- South Africa.Wood, Charles -- Printer.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1841.
Lithographs -- 1841.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.