A catalogue of the collection of pictures, &c. belonging to King James the Second : to which is added, A catalogue of the pictures and drawings in the closet of the late Queen Caroline, with their exact measures, and also of the principal pictures in the palace at Kensington.
- London : Printed for W. Bathoe, at his Circulating Library near Exeter Change, in the Strand, MDCCLVIII 
- Physical Description:
- iv, 144, 51,  p. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN5247.C45 V3 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The catalogue was made by W. [William] Chiffinch, and prepared for the press by [George] Vertue. Vertue himself made the Catalogue of the Queen Caroline's pictures ..."--Hazen.
"A catalogue of the pictures, .. in Queen Caroline's closet" has separate register and pagination.
Part printed by William Bowyer; his records show 250 copies printed.
Hazen, A.T. A bibliography of Horace Walpole, 44
Hazen, A.T. Catalogue of Horace Walpole's library, 2479 (2)
Maslen and Lancaster. Bowyer ledgers, 4165
BAC: British Art Center copy lacks "A catalogue of the pictures, .. in Queen Caroline's closet." Bound with: Van der Dort, Abraham. A catalogue and description of King Charles the First's capital collection of pictures, limnings, statues, bronzes, medals, and other curiosities. London : W. Bathoe, 1757 (Copy 1).
SML J495 J231 758: Armorial bookplate of Thomas Philip, Earl de Grey.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britian.Caroline, consort of George II, King of Great Britain, 1683-1737 -- Art collections.Collectors and collecting -- Great Britian -- History.De Grey, Thomas Philip De Grey, Earl, 1781-1859 -- Bookplate, Armorial.Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Art collectionsJames II, King of England, 1633-1701 -- Art collections.Royal houses -- Great Britain -- Art collections.
YCBA Collections Search
Chiffinch, William, 1602?-1688, A catalogue of the collection of pictures, &c. belonging to King James the Second , MDCCLVIII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.