A voyage to the Pacific ocean. Undertaken, by the command of His Majesty, for making discoveries in the Northern hemisphere, to determine the position and extent of the west side of North America; its distance from Asia; and the practicability of a northern passage to Europe. Performed under the direction of Captains Cook, Clerke, and Gore, in His Majesty's ships the Resolution and Discovery, in the years 1776, 1777, 1778, 1779, and 1780. Vol. I and II written by Captain James Cook, F.R.S. Vol. III by Captain James King, L.L.D. and F.R.S. Illustrated with maps and charts, from the original drawings made by Lieut. Henry Roberts ... with a great variety of portraits ... views ... and historical representations ... drawn by Mr. Webber ... Published by order of the lords commissioners of the Admiralty ...
- London, Printed by W. and A. Strahan, for G. Nicol, & T. Cadell, 1784.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. plates (part fold.) maps (part fold.) charts (part fold.) 30 cm. and atlas. 57 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A G 3Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BAC: Maps or charts engraved by T. Harmar, W. Harrison, Mw. Smith, or W. Palmer; after Henry Roberts.
BEIN: Extra-illustrated with ports. of Capts. Cook and King bound in v.1 and 3 respectively; the atlas has the additional plate (The death of Captain Cook) bound at end.
BAC : The British Art Center copy has the plate "the death of Captain Cook" by Bartolozzi and Byrne, after Webber, bound in at the end of the atlas.
BEIN Ecd 776a (atlas): Has an additional plate ("The death of Captain Cook", placed between plates 61 and 62) dated 1785.
The plates, including maps and charts, are numbered 1-87, 64 of which, marked * in the list of plates, are bound separately.
Illustrations by Francesco Bartolozzi, William Bryne, John Webber, James Newton, James Caldwell, Peter Mazell, Benjamin Thomas Pouncy, William Sharp, James Heath, James Taylor, John Hall, William Ellis, William Woollett, John Keyse Sherwin, Daniel Lerperniere, Scott, Samuel Middeman, John Record, S. Smith, James Basir, Jean Marie Delatre, William Angus, and Charles Grignon; after John Webber and William Bligh.
- Subject Terms:
- Cadell, T. -- Publisher. (bac,rb)Clerke, Charles, 1741-1779.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1784. (bac,rb)Gore, John, 1730?-1790.Nicol, G. -- Publisher. (bac,rb)Northeast Passage.Northwest Passage.Oceania -- Discovery and exploration.Oliphant, Mr. -- Autograph, 1784. (bac,rb)Pacific Coast (North America)Strahan (W. and A.) -- Printer. (bac,rb)Voyages around the world.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.