A guide to the watering places on the coast : between the Exe and the Dart : including Teignmouth, Dawlish, and Torquay : embellished with a general view of Teignmouth and Dawlish, and the various seats around them : with a short description of the neighbourhood : to which will be subjoined, by special leave, from the Honourable the Board of ordnance, a reduced part of their grand map : dedicated by permission, to the Right Hon. Lord Viscount Exmouth.
- Teignmouth [England] : Printed and sold by E. Croydon, Public Library; Sold also at Gore's Dawlish, and Gilbert's, Torquay, 1817-1818.
- Physical Description:
- 3 pt. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.D5 G8 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.D5 G8 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.D5 G8 Copy 3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Aquatint engravings by J. Smith, Daniel Havell, James Shury, and Joseph Constantine Stadler; after William Bonneau Noble and Edward Croydon.
"Delicacy forbids the publisher from revealing of names of those who have assisted him."--Pt. 1, p. viii.
Originally published in 3 parts, pt. 1 in 1817, pts. 2 and 3 in 1818.
Much of the material of this work was included in the Teignmouth, Dawlish, and Torquay guide ... By N.T. Carrington, and others ... Teignmouth, E. Croydon [1830?].
"Conchology. An enumeration of such marine shells, as have been found on the adjacent coasts, with references, to the best engraved figures":  p. at end of [v. 3].
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 114
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 115
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy (Scenery 114), in original parts, each bound in original printed boards. Pt. 1 in blue-grey boards and pts. 2 and 3 in yellow. Front boards reproducing title-pages but within border. Pt. 1 imprint information 'Gore's Dawligh' altered to"Knighton's Dawlish'. Imprint information in pt. 2, dated 1818, and 'Knighton's Dawlish' altered to 'Knighton, Dawlish'. Back board of pt. 1 blank: back boards of pt. 2 and 3 lettered withing two double rules: Parts the Second. [Third.] Dawligh (Torquaay) and its vicinity. Inscribed: Thos. Yarde, dated in pt. 1: Chudleigh Dec. 23rd 1836. Illustrations are colored aquatints and uncolored steel engravings.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is the Abbey copy (Scenery 115), bound in one volume in red morocco.. Lacks plate 1, but contains four additional illustrations (plates 3, 15, 16, 18). Contains numerous corrections pencilled in text.
BAC: British Art Center copy 3 is bound in one volume, in original printed boards. Plates complete. Bookplate of Eric S. Quale, Greensleeves Sutton Caldfield, 1962.
- Subject Terms:
- Croydon, E. -- Printer.Dawlish (England) -- Guidebooks.Devon (England) -- Description and travel.Health resorts -- England -- Devon.Mollusks -- England.Quale, Eric S. -- Bookplate. (BACRB Copy 3)Steel engraving -- Specimens -- 1817-1818.Teignmouth (England) -- Guidebooks.Torquay (England) -- Guidebooks.Yarde, Thomas -- Autograph, Chudleigh, Dec. 23, 1836. (BACRB Copy 1)
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1817-1818.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.