Proceedings at the reception and dinner in honor of George Peabody, Esq., of London : by the citizens of the old town of Danvers, October 9, 1856 : to which is appended an historical sketch of the Peabody Institute, with the exercises at the laying of the corner-stone and at the dedication / published by order of the Committee of Arrangements.
- Boston : H.W. Dutton & Son, printers, 1856.
- Physical Description:
- vi, , 195,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations, portraits ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF74.D2 D3 1856Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The exercises were in the charge of a joint committee of the two towns of Danvers and South Danvers--"The reception, introduction" on page .
Contains lithographs on which Winslow Homer worked when he was with J.H. Bufford's Lith. Homer's initials are on illustrations facing p. 21 and 89.
Frontispiece portrait of George Peabody engraved on steel by J.C. Buttre, from a daguerreotype. Several plates are after photographs by W. Snell, lithographed by L.H. Bradford & Co. and J.H. Bufford. Other illustrators include Mrs. T.A. Sweetser and M.C. Oby.
Last page blank.
Hamilton, S. American book illustrators (1968 ed.), no. 848
BEIN 2003 214: Bookplate of J.R. Abbey. Bookplate of Paul Mellon.
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: lacks all plates except the engraved frontispiece and the lithograph facing page 1. Bound in publisher's yellow printed wrappers.
- Subject Terms:
- Abbey, J. R. (John Roland), 1896-1969 -- Bookplate.Danvers (Mass.) -- History.Mellon, Paul -- Bookplate.Peabody Institute (Danvers, Mass.)Peabody, George, 1795-1869.
- Engravings -- 1856.
Lithographs -- 1856.
YCBA Collections Search
Danvers (Mass.), Proceedings at the reception and dinner in honor of George Peabody, Esq., of London , 1856
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.