Observations upon the Windward coast of Africa : the religion, character, customs &c., of the natives : with a system upon which they may be civilized, and a knowledge attained of the interior of this extraordinary quarter of the globe : and upon the natural and commercial resources of the country : made in the years 1805 and 1806 / by Joseph Corry ; with an appendix, containing a letter to Lord Howick, on the most simple and effectual means of abolishing the slave trade.
- London : Printed for G. and W. Nicol ... and James Asperne ... By W. Bulmer and Co. Cleveland Row, St. James's, 1807.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, ,163 p.,  leaves of plates ( folding) : ill., map, 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDT477 .C67 1807+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Aquatints by Joseph Constantine Stadler; after R. Cocking, from sketches by Joseph Corry.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 278
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in half roan with marbled boards. Bookplate: Sir Thomas Baring.
MUDD Efd +805C: 1 plate wanting.
- Subject Terms:
- Africa, West -- Description and travel.Africa, West -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Asperne, James -- Publisher.Baring, Thomas, Sir -- Bookplate.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1807.G. and W. Nicol -- Publisher.Slave trade -- Africa.W. Bulmer and Co. -- Printer.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1807.
- Contents of the plates: A Mandingo Chief, and his Head Man, with other natives in their costume
- Sketch [i.e. map] of the windward coast of Africa
- Palma bearing S. by W. distant about 8 leagues from A.
- The Colony of Sierre Leone
- Island of Goree
- Porto Praya, Island of St. Jago
- Fogo bearing N. by W. distance about 4 leagues from B.
- Island of St. Jago
- Bance Island, in the River Sierra Leone.