Richardson, Jonathan, 1665-1745, The works of Jonathan Richardson, 1792
- The works of Jonathan Richardson. Containing I. The theory of painting. II. Essay on the art of criticism, (so far as it relates to painting). III. The science of a connoisseur.
- A new ed., corr., with the additions of An essay on the knowledge of prints, and Cautions to collectors. Ornamented with portraits by Worlidge, &c. ... The whole intended as a supplement to the Anecdotes of painters and engravers.
- [London] Sold by T. and J. Egerton [etc.] 1792.
- Physical Description:
- vi., , -287 p. 12 ports. 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1130 R53 1792b Copy 1Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1130 R53 1792b Copy 2Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 has the bookplate of Cornelius Heathcote Rodes. Copy 2 is wanting the half-title. In copy 2, the plates are printed on paper which has been stained orange.
BAC : One portrait by D.P. Pariset, after P. Falconet; most other plates by Thos. Worlidge.
Re-issue of the spurious Strawberry Hill ed., 1792, with a cancel title-page and "Directions to the binder" added on p. [viii]. With spurious Strawberry Hill fleuron as title vignette.--Cf. A.T. Hazen. A bibliography of the Strawberry Hill Press, 1942, p. 65, 83.
Half-title: Supplement to the Hon. Horace Walpole's Anecdotes of painters and engravers.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Early works to 1800.Painting -- Early works to 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.