IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Richardson, Jonathan, 1665-1745, The works of Jonathan Richardson, 1792
The works of Jonathan Richardson. Containing I. The theory of painting. II. Essay on the art of criticism, (so far as it relates to painting). III. The science of a connoisseur.
- A new ed., corr., with the additions of An essay on the knowledge of prints, and Cautions to collectors. Ornamented with portraits by Worlidge, &c. ... The whole intended as a supplement to the Anecdotes of painters and engravers.
- [London] Sold by T. and J. Egerton [etc.] 1792.
- Physical Description:
- vi., , -287 p. 12 ports. 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1130 R53 1792b Copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1130 R53 1792b Copy 2View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- BAC : British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 has the bookplate of Cornelius Heathcote Rodes. Copy 2 is wanting the half-title. In copy 2, the plates are printed on paper which has been stained orange.
BAC : One portrait by D.P. Pariset, after P. Falconet; most other plates by Thos. Worlidge.
Re-issue of the spurious Strawberry Hill ed., 1792, with a cancel title-page and "Directions to the binder" added on p. [viii]. With spurious Strawberry Hill fleuron as title vignette.--Cf. A.T. Hazen. A bibliography of the Strawberry Hill Press, 1942, p. 65, 83.
Half-title: Supplement to the Hon. Horace Walpole's Anecdotes of painters and engravers.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Early works to 1800.Painting -- Early works to 1800.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.