Perspectivische Ansicht des Tunnels unter der Themse, ca. 1825]
- Perspectivische Ansicht des Tunnels unter der Themse. Vue perspective du tunnel sous la Tamise.
- [s.n., ca. 1825]
- Physical Description:
- 7 col. plates. 23 x 16 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 P43Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- In case, as issued.
Titles from two printed paper labels on case.
A double telescopic peepshow with two viewing holes. The "plates" are actually six cutout panels, connected top, bottom, and center by paper.
Possibly issued at the time the tunnel was begun (1825). The costumes shown seem to date from that period. In any case, a hypothetical view: horses and carriages are shown, although ramps were never constructed to carry them to the entrance of the tunnel.
Hyde, R. Paper peepshows, cat. 118
Cottage of content, or, Toys, games, and amusements of nineteenth century England, 62
Selected exhibitions: “The Cottage of Content : or, Toys, Games, and Amusements of Nineteenth Century England" (Yale Center for British Art, November 2 - December 31, 1977).
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Thames Tunnel (London, England)Tunnels -- England -- London.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.