An essay towards the history of Leverpool / drawn up from papers left by the late Mr. George Perry, and from other materials since collected, by William Enfield. With views of the principal public structures, a chart of the harbour, and a map of the environs.
- The second edition, with additions.
- London : Printed for Joseph Johnson, No. 72, St. Paul's Church Yard, 1774.
- Physical Description:
- vi, , 116 [i.e. 120] p.,  leaves of plates (3 folded) : ill. ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.L8 E54 1774+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.L8 E54 1774+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engravings by Edward Rooker; after M.A. Rooker and P.P. Burdett. Map engraved by Thomas Kitchin.
A reissue of the 1773 edition, with a cancel titlepage, a new preface and a list of subscribers. Cf. ESTC.
Signatures: a-c² B-Y² Y*² Z² Aa-Ff².
With an additional gathering Y*, numbered *87-90*.
English short title catalogue, T145378
BAC: British Art Center copy has two copies. Copy 1 is bound in mottled tree calf, scored, with gold tooling. Spine title: History of Liverpool. Armorial device, in gilt, stamped on front cover. Copy 2 is bound in diced russia leather binding. Extra-illustrated with two engraved views of Liverpool mounted on verso of first free endpaper, a clipping from "The Time, Wednesday April 12, 1882. The See of Liverpool. To the Editor of The Times", and a large watercolour coat of arms of the city, with manuscript annotations, concluding "The above is a true copy of the record of the patent as registered in the College of Arms, London, Witness my hand this eighteenth of Novemr. 1813. William Radclyffe Rouge Croix".
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1774.Johnson, Joseph -- Publisher.Liverpool (England) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Liverpool (England) -- History -- Early works to 1800.Radclyffe, William -- Autograph. (BACRB Copy 2)
- Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Enfield, William, 1741-1797, An essay towards the history of Leverpool , 1774
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.