Narrative of an excursion to the mountains of Piemont, and researches among the Vaudois, or Waldenses, Protestant inhabitants of the Cottian Alps : with maps, plates, and an appendix, containing copies of ancient manuscripts, and other interesting documents, in illustration of the history and manners of that extraordinary people / by the Rev. William Stephen Gilly, M. A. Rector of North Fambridge, Essex; author of "The spirit of the gospel," "Academic errors," &c.
- London : Printed for C. and J. Rivington, St. Paul's Church-Yard, and Waterloo-Place, Pall-Mass, MDCCCXXIV 
- Physical Description:
- xx, 279, , ccxxiv p.,  leaves of plates, ( folded) : ill., maps, facsimiles ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDG613 .G55 1824+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Printed by R. Gilbert, St. John's Square.
Lithographs drawn by Francis Nicholson and Berkeley King from sketches by the Henriette Anne Fortescue. Lithographs printed by C. Hullmandel.
Maps lithographed by Benjamin Richard Baker. Maps printed by the Lithographic Press, 8, Pickett St., Strand.
Eng. cat. of books, Prel. vol., p. 231
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 10, 254
Appendices: p. i-ccx.
Includes bibliographical references and index (p. [ccxi]-ccxxiv).
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original boards, with publisher's printed spine label. Illegible inscription.
- Subject Terms:
- Alps -- Description and travel.C. and J. Rivington -- Publisher.Gilbert, R. -- Printer.Hullmandel, C. -- Printer.Lithographic Press -- Printer.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1824.Mountains -- Italy.Piedmont (Italy) -- Description and travel.Waldenses -- History.Waldenses -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Map of part of Savoy and Piemont
- St. Jean de Maurienne
- Map of the three Protestant valleys of Piemont, Lucerna, San Martino, and Perosa
- The Church of San Giovanni, or St. Jean
- La Torre, or La Tour
- Distant views of the Protestant Church of La Torre
- Interior of the Protestant Church of La Torre
- The ruins of the Fortress of La Torre
- The Church burial-ground, and Presbytery of Villaro
- Bobbio, or Bobi
- Fac-simile of the concluding sentence of the declaration of Du Petit Bourg, from the origina MS
- Fac-simile of the attestation of M. Shmid, from the original MS
- Facsimile of the attestation of M. Tronchin, from the original MS.