The old closes & streets of Glasgow / engraved by Annan from photographs taken for the city of Glasgow Improvement Trust ; with an introduction by William Young.
- Additional Title(s):
Old closes and streets of Glasgow
- Glasgow : James MacLehose and Sons, 1900.
- Physical Description:
- 23,  pages,  leaves of plates : chiefly illustrations ; 40 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2017 14Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "[The photographs] were commissioned by the city authorities to mark the first slum clearances, which were authorized in 1866. Annan's thirty-five photographs, taken between 1868 and 1871, were designed to record the history of the buildings as well as the dreadful living conditions."--ODNB. Annan's photographs are recognized as one of the first significant photographic works of social documentation.
"In 1871, the first edition, probably four sets of 31 albumen prints, was titled Photographs of streets, closes, &c. taken 1868-81. The second edition, 1877, probably 60 sets, Photographs of old closes, street, &c., taken 1868-1877. The third edition, of 50 photogravures, was published in 1900 in two versions. One version, 100 copies, Old closes and streets a series of photogravures 1868-1899, was published by Annan for the Corporation. The other version, 150 copies, The old closes & streets of Glasgow, published by Maclehose were the only copies for sale. For the photogravure editions James [J. Craig Annan] sharpened the images."--Encyclopedia of nineteenth-century photography
The plates are photogravures after photographs by Thomas Annan. Thirty-eight of the plates are dated 1868, 1 is dated 1885, 8 are dated 1897, and 4 are dated 1899.
Title printed in red and black.
Encyclopedia of nineteenth-century photography, v. 1, pages 45-46
Goldschmidt, L. Truthful lens, 4
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original red cloth. With the bookplate and autograph of James D. Boyd, the latter dated 6th July 1946.
- Subject Terms:
- Boyd, James D. -- Autograph.Boyd, James D. -- Bookplate.Glasgow (Scotland) -- Pictorial works.Poor -- Scotland -- Glasgow -- Pictorial works.Slums -- Scotland -- Glasgow -- Pictorial works.Streets -- Scotland -- Glasgow -- Pictorial works.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.