IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Hornor, Thomas, 1785-1844, Prospectus. View of London, and the surrounding country , 1823
Prospectus. View of London, and the surrounding country : taken with mathematical accuracy from an observatory purposely erected over the cross of St. Paul's cathedral : to be published in four engravings / by Thomas Hornor.
- Additional Title(s):
View of London, and the surrounding country
- Second edition.
- London : Published by T. Hornor, 2, Robert Street, Adelphi; and to be had of J. and A. Arch, Cornhill; Hurst and Robinson, Cheapside; Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, Paternoster-Row; and Harding, St. James's Street, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- 31,  p.,  folding leaves of plates : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA683 H6 1823+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Soft-ground etchings drawn and etched by Thomas Hornor. Frontispiece engraving by S. Rawle.
"J. M'Creery, printer, Tooks Court, Chancery Lane."--P. 31.
MUDD WD 1627: Poor condition.
BAC: British Art Center bound in original illustrated wrappers. Newspaper clipping (from The Times, 21 June 1965) about Thomas Hornor and this work removed to object file.
BAC: British Art Center copy may be the author's copy. It includes many corrections and changes throughout, in graphite, apparently in preparation for a third edition of the work. Also present are three manuscript documents, in pen and brown ink. The first, 4 p., appears to be text for a subscription form for the present work. The second, 1 p., titled "Notice to the possessors of property in and around London", is a text for a form in which London citizens could record the details of their buildings for the benefit of Hornor's description. The final note, 1 p., includes information on the price and formats in which the work will be available.
- Subject Terms:
- Hornor, T. -- Publisher.Hornor, Thomas, 1785-1844 -- Provenance.London (England) -- Pictorial works.M'Creery, J. -- Printer.St. Paul's Cathedral (London, England)
Soft-ground etchings -- 1823.
Engravings -- 1823.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.