The history and delineation of the horse, in all his varieties : comprehending the appropriate uses, management, and progressive improvement of each : with a particular investigation of the character of the race-horse, and the business of the turf : illustrated by anecdotes and biographical notices of distinguished sportsmen : the engravings from original paintings : with instructions for breeding, breaking, training, and the general management of the horse, both in a state of health and of disease / by John Lawrence, author of "A philosophical and practical treatise on horses," &c. &c.
- London : Albion Press : Printed for James Cundee, Ivy-Lane, Paternoster-Row : and John Scott, Rosoman Street, Clerkenwell, 1809.
- Physical Description:
- iv, , 6-288,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF285 .L38 1809+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF285 .L38 1809+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Added title page has imprint: London : Printed for the proprietors, 1809.
Engravings by Girtin and John Scott; after Benjamin Marshall, George Stubbs, Sawrey Gilpin, and John Nost Sartorius.
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 91
Errata on page  at end.
List of plates and publisher's advertisement on page  at end.
MUDD Uzfe17 +809L: Bookplate cds: Parry, Henry (armorial) Philpott, Rich. St'P'r., M.A., Prebendary of Wells.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in contemporary brown calf. Armorial bookplate: Stafford Goldie Harding.
BAC: British Art Center copy copy 2 bound in contemporary red three-quarter morocco. Binder's stamp of Pawson & Nicholson.
- Subject Terms:
- Harding, Stafford Goldie -- Bookplate.Horse racing.Horses.Pawson & Nicholson -- Binder.Race horses -- Great Britain -- History.
- Engravings -- 1809.
Etchings -- 1809.
Wood engravings -- 1809.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
- Plates: Brood mare, and Foal
- Wellesley Arabian
- The Godolphia Arabian
- Duncombe, by the Arcot Arabian, a hunter, the property of George Treacher, Esq.
- Portrait of a Hackney, Roan Billy
- Portrait of a Charger, and Major-General Warde
- Coach-Horses, the property of Henry Villebois, Esq. with a striking Portrait of David
- Portrait of Dumpling, a black Gelding and Thill horse
- Stabling for a country residence
- Sir Charles Bunbury's Eleanor
- Eclipse and Shakespeare
- King Herod and Flying Childers
- Shetland Poney, Forester, and Welch Poney.