The breeds of the domestic animals of the British Islands / described by David Low ... ; and illustrated with plates, from drawings by Mr. W. Nicholson, R.S.A. ; reduced from a series of portraits from life, executed for the Agricultural Museum of the University of Edinburgh, by Mr. W. Shiels, R.S.A. ; in two volumes.
- London : Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1842.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : col. ill. ; 44 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 102 Copy 1Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 102 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- With 56 lithographs by Thomas Fairland; after William Nicholson, from paintings by William Shiels.
Printed by Wilson and Ogilvy, 57, Skinner Street, London.
Originally issued in 14 bi-monthly installments (at one guinea each), 1840-1842, with 4 plates of hand-colored lithographs in each part.
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 168
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 126
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in gilt-tooled red morocco (in 2 volumes), by [James] Hayday. Bookplate: Henry B. Marshall.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 in the original parts, in printed gray wrappers. Part numbers are printed on the wrappers of parts I-III and VIII-XIV. Arabic numbers are handwritten in ink on the wrappers of parts III-VII, except for part V, which is inscribed with a roman number.
MUDD: Vol. 2 imperfect: one plate wanting.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals in art.Cows in art.Domestic animals -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Hayday, James -- 1796-1872 -- Bookbinder.Horses in art.Livestock -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longmans -- Publisher.Marshall, Henry B. -- Bookplate.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1842.
- V. 1. The horse, and the ox
- v. 2. The sheep, the goat, and the hog.