Views of Oxford / by T. Malton.
- London : Published 4th June 1810, by White & Co. Fleet Street & R. Smith, Oxford, 1810.
- Physical Description:
- 31 leaves : illustrations ; 42 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsLLmd67 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 20 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- The first 24 plates are aquatint engravings, reproduced from the edition of 1802-1803 (Abbey, Scenery 272) and bearing the original imprint. The final six plates are line etchings, dated 1810.
Engraved throughout, including title leaf.
Cordeaux, E.H. Bibliography of printed works relating to the University of Oxford, 304
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 277
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original blue paper covered boards. Inscribed: "James Turle Esq with Captain Malton's kind regards. November 1860."
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 includes an additional 27 plates with etched lines before aquatint and before letters. Also with an added mezzotint portrait of Mr. Thomas Malton by Wm. Barney (Chaloner Smith 10), bound in as a frontispiece. Bound in contemporary green half morocco and green cloth.
BEIR LLmd67 802mb: Outline plates bound in front of volume. Stamp and ms. notes of Falconer Madan.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Oxford.Madan, Falconer, 1851-1935 -- Ms. notes.Madan, Falconer, 1851-1935 -- Stamp.Malton, Captain -- Pres. insc. to James Turle. November 1860.Smith, R. -- Publisher.Turle, James -- Pres. insc. from Captain Malton. November 1860.Universities and colleges -- England -- Oxford.University of Oxford -- Pictorial works.White & Co. -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- 1810.
Engravings -- 1810.
Etchings -- 1810.
Mezzotints -- 1810.
Watercolors -- 1810.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
- Magdalen College from the New Bridge
- Queens College from the High Street
- Entrance to All Souls College, and St. Mary's Church from the High Street
- West Front of the principal quadrangle of All Souls College
- The Library of All Souls College
- Staircase to the Hall of Christ Church College
- University College from the High Street
- The principal quadrangle of Queen's College
- The chapel of Queens College
- East front of the principal quadrangle of All Souls College
- Christ Church from the Chaplains Court
- The Cathedral of Christ Church
- The first quadrangle of Magdalen College
- The Clarendon Printing House
- Corpus Christi College, from the garden
- The hall of Christ Church College - The Anti Chapel of New College
- The Chapel of New College
- First quadrangle of New College
- First quadrangle of Brazen Nose College
- Merton Church
- North front of the library of Christ Church College
- North front of the Divinity School
- The Divinity School
- All Saints Church and part of the High Street
- Entrance to Merton College and Tower
- The front of Oriel College and St. Mary's Spire
- West front of Christ Church
- Inside of All Souls College Chapel
- Magdalen Bridge and Tower.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.