The American atlas, or, A geographical description of the whole continent of America : wherein are delineated at large, its several regions, countries, states, and islands, and chiefly the British colonies, composed from numerous surveys, several of which were made by order of government / by Capt. Holland, Capt. Carver, Lewis Evans, William Scull, Henry Mouzon, Lieut. Ross, J. Cook, Michael Lane, Joseph Gilbert, Gardner, Hillock, &c. &c. ; engraved on forty-eight copper-plates by the late Mr. Thomas Jefferys, geographer to the king, and others.
- Additional Title(s):
Geographical description of the whole continent of America
- London : Printed and sold by R. Sayer and J. Bennett, map and print sellers, No. 53, Fleet-Street, MDCCLXXVI 
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas ( leaves,  leaves of plates (some folded)) : 29 maps ; 54 cm (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsAmVa 1105Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scales differ.
- BAC: British Art Center copy: First edition issue. Folio. 1/2 tan calf, original contemporary marbled boards; re-backed. Color maps, folding color maps. Color outlined maps (29), on 48 sheets. Spine height: 22 1/4 inches (red morocco label: AMERICAN ATLAS).
Maps are hand coloured.
The maps coincide with the ones described in the Nat. Maritime Mus. Library Cat. vol. 3, pt. 1, no. 361, except for no. 106 (map 5) which reads: An accurate map of North America, describing and distinguishing the British and Spanish dominions on this great continent; according to the definitive treaty concluded at Paris 10th Feb.y 1763; also the West India Islands belonging to, and possessed by the several European princes and states. The whole laid down according to the latest and most authentick improvements by Eman Bowen geogr: to His Majesty and John Gibson engraver.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.America.United States -- Maps -- Early works to 1800.
- Early works.
YCBA Collections Search
Jefferys, Thomas, -1771, The American atlas, or, A geographical description of the whole continent of America , MDCCLXXVI 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.