Repton, Humphry, 1752-1818, Observations on the theory and practice of landscape gardening , 1805
- Observations on the theory and practice of landscape gardening : including some remarks on Grecian and Gothic architecture, collected from various manuscripts, in the possession of the different noblemen and gentlemen, for whose use they were originally written; the whole tending to establish fixed principles in the respective arts / by H. Repton.
- London : Printed by T. Bensley, Bolt Court, for J. Taylor, at the Architectural Library, High Holborn, 1805.
- Physical Description:
- 16, 222,  p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill., port., map, 35 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSB471 .R478 1805+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Stipple engraved frontispiece portrait of the author by William Holl; after Samuel Shelley. The remaining plates aquatints and line engravings, mostly unsigned. Plate  engraved by S. Porter; plate  engraved by S. Porter, after J. Adey Repton.
Earlier ed. published in 1803.
A number of the plates have engraved overslips, showing changes in landscape.
Also includes aquatint and wood-engraved illustrations within the text.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt- and blind-stamped calf. Bookplate: Castle Semple. Inscribed: Mother with love from Constance. 1911. Autograph: J.B. Jennings.
- Subject Terms:
- Castle Semple -- Bookplate.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1805.Formal gardens -- Design -- Great Britain.Gardening -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Gardens -- Design -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Jennings, J.B. -- Autograph.Landscape architecture -- Great Britain.Landscape gardening -- Great Britain.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1805.
- Aquatints -- 1805.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1805.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.