Turner's Rivers of France : the Loire / with introd. by John Ruskin .
- Additional Title(s):
Rivers of France
- London : J. McCormick, [1850?]
- Physical Description:
- 120 p., 59 leaves of plates : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC27 .R58 1850Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Steel engravings by James Baylis Allen, James Charles Armytage, Robert Brandard, John Cousen, Samuel. Fisher, Thomas Higham, Thomas Jeavons, William Miller, John Smith, William Raymond Smith, Robert Wallis, and James Tibbetts Willmore; after J.M.W. Turner.
Originally published in the series, Turner's annual tours, in three separate volumes, with titles: Wanderings by the Loire, 1833 (21 pl.); Wanderings by the Seine, 1834 (20 pl.); Wanderings by the Seine from Rouen to the source, 1835 (20 pl.).
Supplement to: The gallery of eminent British artists ... by John Sherer.
With an added engraved title page.
BAC: British Art Center copy lacks letterpress title page and introduction. Bound in brown half roan, with marbled boards. Extra-illustrated with 4 plates, mounted and loosely inserted. Also includes, bound in at end, the addition of an added engraved title page from a previous edition (?) of the present work: The rivers of France from drawings by J.M.W. Turner. London : Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green,& Longman, 1837 tipped in at end.
Sixty-one views of the Loire and Seine with descriptive text in English by Leitch Ritchie, and a French translation.
- Subject Terms:
- France -- Description and travel.Rivers -- France.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.