Songs of the chace: containing an extensive collection relative to the sports of the field : including the several subjects of hunting, shooting, racing, coursing, angling, hawking, &c. &c.
- London : Printed for Thomas Simpson, 337, Oxford-Street, 1811.
- Physical Description:
- v, , 469 [i.e. 449],  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 17 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN6110.H83 S66 1811Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Anonymous. Attributed to Thomas Gosden.
The plate is an engraved frontispiece by John Scott; after Benjamin Marshall.
With an engraved half-title.
"Squire and Warwick, printers, Furnival's-Inn-Court, London."--Verso of title page.
Error in paging: nos. 129-148 omitted.
Wood engraved tail-pieces.
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 96
BAC: British Art Center copy has extensive ms annotations, additions, corrections and deletions, apparently in preparation for a new edition; according to a ms pencil annotation on recto of second free end-paper these are in the hand of Thomas Gosden, and it is entirely on this basis that the collection is attributed to Gosden. The first wood engraved tail-piece has been hand-colored. In this copy leaves N4 and O5 are cancels, leaf Q8 is missing, and leaves P5 and R4 show cancel stubs but are apparently not cancels. Bound in gilt-tooled sprinkled calf, with marbled end-papers; edges stained yellow; rebacked.
- Subject Terms:
- English poetry -- 19th century.Falconry -- Poetry.Fishing -- Poetry.Gosden, Thomas, 1780-1840 -- Provenance.Horse racing -- Poetry.Hunting -- Poetry.Hunting songs.Simpson, Thomas -- Publisher.Sports -- Poetry.Squire and Warwick -- Printer.
- Authors' annotations
Wood engravings -- 1811.
Engravings -- 1811.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.