Strutt, Joseph, 1749-1802, The chronicle of England , MDCCLXXVII-MDCCLXXVIII [1777-1778]
The chronicle of England / by Joseph Strutt.
- London : Printed by Joseph Cooper, for Walter Shropshire, No. 158, in New-Bond-Street, MDCCLXXVII-MDCCLXXVIII [1777-1778]
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA152 .S77 1777+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Imprint to vol.2: "Printed by Thomas Jones, for Walter Shropshire ...".
Catalogo ragionato dei libri d'arte e d'antichità posseduti dal conte Cicognara 1803
English short title catalogue, T75215
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled red morocco.
"... a more ambitious work [than Strutt's The regal and ecclesiastical antiquities of England, and Horda-angel-cynnan], with fewer engravings, intended as a work of reference rather than a narrative history. Six volumes had been initially projected but only the first two were published (1777-8)."--Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
- Subject Terms:
- Anglo-Saxons -- History -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- History -- Anglo-Saxon period, 449-1066 -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1777-1778.
- Volume 1. From the arrival of Julius Caesar to the end of the Saxon heptarchy
- Volume 2. From the accession of Egbert to the Norman conquest.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.