Solleysel, Jacques de, 1617-1680, The compleat horseman , 1717
- The compleat horseman : discovering the surest marks of the beauty, goodness, faults, and imperfections of horses : the signs and causes of their diseases ... : also the art of shoeing ... : together with the best method of breeding colts ... / by the Sieur de Solleysell ... ; to which is added a most excellent supplement of riding, collected from the best authors, with an alphabetical catalogue of all the physical simples in English, French, and Latin ; made English from the eighth edition of the original by Sir William Hope ... ; the whole illustrated with copper cuts ...
- Alternate Title(s):
- Parfait mareschal. English. Abridgments
- The second edition, corrected from many errors in the former edition.
- London : Printed for R. Bonwick, J. Tonson, T. Goodwin, J. Walthoe, M. Wotton, S. Manship, R. Wilkin, B. Tooke, R. Smith, and T. Ward, 1717.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. (, xlv, , 326, 323-324, , xvi, 300,  p.) : ill., port. ; 32 cm (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF285 .S65 1717+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Translation into English of: Le parfait mareschal.
Running title of pt. 1: The perfect marshal, or, Compleat farrier.
The supplement has special title page: A supplement of horsemanship tp the first part of The perfect marshall: or, A most compendious and excellent treatise of riding ... The whole collected and methodiz'd by Sir William Hope ... London, Printed in the year 1717.
Translated by William Hope.
In two parts each with separate title page, pagination, and register.
ESTC (RLIN), N44410
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 41
Fox, C.G. The Fairman Rogers Coll. on the horse and equitation, 729
Handbook on the management of horses.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in Cambridge-style calf, in one volume. Bookplate: F.J. Cornish-Bowden, Black Hall.
- Subject Terms:
- Bonwick, R., -- Bookseller.Cornish-Bowden, F.J. -- Bookplate.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1717.Goodwin, T., -- Bookseller.Horsemanship -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Diseases -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Early works to 1800.Manship, S., -- Bookseller.Smith, R., -- Bookseller.Tonson, J., -- Bookseller.Tooke, B., -- Bookseller.Walthoe, J., -- Bookseller.Ward, R., -- Bookseller.Wilkin, R., -- Bookseller.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1717.Wotton, M., -- Bookseller.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.