Memoir of the conquest of Java : with the subsequent operations of the British forces, in the Oriental archipelago : to which is subjoined a statistical and historical sketch of Java with an account of its dependencies / by Major William Thorn, Late Deputy Quarter-Master-General to the forces serving in Java ; illustrated by plans, charts, views, ec.
- London : Printed for T. Egerton, Military Library, Whitehall, 1815.
[London] : Printed by R. Wilks, 89, Chancery-Lane, 
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 369,  pages,  leaves of plates (16 folded) : illustrations, maps ; 31 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS646.27 .T46 1815+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Aquatint by Joseph Jeakes.
Printed by R. Wilks, 89, Chancery Lane.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 553
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original marbled boards with cloth back.
- Subject Terms:
- British -- Indonesia -- Java.Indonesia -- History -- British occupation, 1811-1816.Indonesia -- History.Java (Indonesia) -- Description and travel.Java (Indonesia) -- History, Military.
- Aquatints -- 1815.
Engravings -- 1815.
- Sketch of the Island of Java
- Tract of the British Fleets
- The Army brigaded
- Landing at Chillinching
- Route of the British Army
- Plan of Action near Weltervreeden
- Plan of attack on Cornelis
- Environs of Samarang
- Enemy's positions at Jatty near Samarang
- Harbour of Grissee
- Tract pursued by the British forces
- River of Palimbang
- Batteries at Borang
- Sketch of palaces, forts and batteries of Palimbang
- Sketch of the fortified Cratten
- Eastern Archipelago
- (Amboyna harbour)
- Banda Isles
- Departure from High Islands or 3d rendezvous of the Fleet
- Town House at Batavia
- Castle and wharf at Batavia
- Fort, palace and line of defence at Palimbang
- Funeral of a Oey Hingho, or Captain of the Chinese, at Batavia
- Fort Cheribon
- Fort Taggal
- Samarang from the land side
- Fort Salatiga
- Water palace at Djoejo Carta
- Fort Damack
- Fort Japara
- Fort Joana
- Fort Rambang
- Sourabaya River