Thorn, William, Memoir of the conquest of Java , 1815
- Memoir of the conquest of Java : with the subsequent operations of the British forces, in the Oriental archipelago : to which is subjoined a statistical and historical sketch of Java with an account of its dependencies / by Major William Thorn, Late Deputy Quarter-Master-General to the forces serving in Java ; illustrated by plans, charts, views, ec.
- London : Printed for T. Egerton, Military Library, Whitehall, 1815.
[London] : Printed by R. Wilks, 89, Chancery-Lane, 
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 369,  pages,  leaves of plates ( folded) : illustrations, maps ; 31 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS646.27 .T46 1815+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Aquatint by Joseph Jeakes.
Printed by R. Wilks, 89, Chancery Lane.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 553
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original marbled boards with cloth back.
- Sketch of the Island of Java -- Tract of the British Fleets -- The Army brigaded -- Landing at Chillinching -- Route of the British Army -- Plan of Action near Weltervreeden -- Plan of attack on Cornelis -- Environs of Samarang -- Enemy's positions at Jatty near Samarang -- Harbour of Grissee -- Tract pursued by the British forces -- River of Palimbang -- Batteries at Borang -- Sketch of palaces, forts and batteries of Palimbang -- Sketch of the fortified Cratten -- Eastern Archipelago -- (Amboyna harbour) -- Banda Isles -- Departure from High Islands or 3d rendezvous of the Fleet -- Town House at Batavia -- Castle and wharf at Batavia -- Fort, palace and line of defence at Palimbang -- Funeral of a Oey Hingho, or Captain of the Chinese, at Batavia -- Fort Cheribon -- Fort Taggal -- Samarang from the land side -- Fort Salatiga -- Water palace at Djoejo Carta -- Fort Damack -- Fort Japara -- Fort Joana -- Fort Rambang -- Gressie -- Sourabaya River -- Passarouang.
- Subject Terms:
- British -- Indonesia -- Java.Indonesia -- History -- British occupation, 1811-1816.Indonesia -- History.Java (Indonesia) -- Description and travel.Java (Indonesia) -- History, Military.
- Aquatints -- 1815.
Engravings -- 1815.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.