The microcosm of Oxford : containing a series of views of the churches, colleges, halls & other public buildings of the University and city of Oxford / by N. Whittock ; accompanied with brief notices of founders, benefactors, dates of buildings, and other subjects explanatory of the several drawings.
- Oxford : Published by N. Whittock, no. 11 London Place, St. Clements, and by J. Bumpus, Hinton and Co., & H. Harris, London, 
- Physical Description:
- 40 p.,  leaves of plates (1 fold.) : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.O98 W45 1830+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.O98 W45 1830+ Copy 2 OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- First issued in parts with title: Microcosm of Oxford: containing forty-eight views ... accompanied with brief notices ... by J. M. Rycot ...
Most of the same plates appear in his Topographical and historical description of the university and city of Oxford ... 1829.
Title page is lithographed.
"List of plates" gives Botanic garden, not found in any of the copies at Yale. Several plates not signed.
Cordeaux, E.H. Bibliography of printed works relating to the University of Oxford, 320
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 bound in original printed boards. Plates not signed. "List of plates" bound at front. Plates accompanied by guard sheets. Copy 2 bound in half calf and marbled boards. Bookplate: James Ford. "List of plates" bound at front. Without guard sheets. Neither copy possesses Botanic garden plate listed in the "List of plates" at front of volume.
MUDD Lmd67 +830wb copy 2: Variant. The following plates differ from those in copy 1: Christ church college, p. 9, sky detail; Merton college, p. 11, unsigned; St. Bartholomew's chapel, p. 17, unsigned with variations in pictorial detail; Queens' college, p. 27, also unsigned but with additional letterpress: Oxford. "List of plates" bound at front.
MUDD Lmd67 +830wb copy 2: Signature of Falconer Madan.
MUDD Lmd67 +830wb copy 3: The following plates differ from those in copy 1: Cummer place, p. 4, signed; Corpus Christi college p. 7, different letterpress and pictorial details; St. Mary hall, p. 8, signed, with variations in details; Christ church college, p. 9, slight variation in sky; High St., p. 22, slight variation in sky; Queens' college, p. 27, signed: Exeter college, p. 30, slight variation in sky.
MUDD Lmd67 +830wb, all copies: Typed sheet, giving full collation, with notes of differences in the plates of the Yale copies is inserted in copy 1. Other variant points are as follows: Copy 3 probably the earliest as plates agree most with the copy in parts. Plates are on heavy paper with accompanying guard sheets watermarked 1827. Copy 1 has plates on thin paper without guard-sheets; copy 2, most plates on heavy paper but guard sheets are thin tissue without watermarks.
- Subject Terms:
- Ford, James -- Bookplate.Harris, H. -- Publisher.J. Bumpus, Hinton and Co. -- Publisher.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1830.Madan, Falconer, 1851-1935 -- Autograph.Oxford (England) -- Pictorial works.University of Oxford -- History.University of Oxford -- Pictorial works.Whittock, N. -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Whittock, N. (Nathaniel), 1791-1860, The microcosm of Oxford , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.