A topographical and historical description of the university and city of Oxford : with views of churches, colleges, halls, and other public edifices, and the most remarkable remains of ancient buildings, in the vicinity of Oxford : to which is added, correct delineations of the costume of the members of the university / by Nathaniel Whittock, lithographist to the University of Oxford.
- London : Published by Isaac Taylor Hinton, 4 Warwick Square, 1828.
- Physical Description:
- iv, , 102,  p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.O98 W454 1828+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Cover title, on publisher's printed label: A topopgraphical and historical description of the University and city of Oxford; with forty-two views and costumes, by N. Whittock. Price £1.15s.
"The 'Topographical description' and the 'Microcosm of Oxford' contain almost the same plates but the former has 102 pp. of text to the latter's 40 pp."--Cordeaux.
Cordeaux, E.H. Bibliography of printed works relating to the University of Oxford, 319
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's red cloth with printed spine and cover labels. Title page of "Microcosm of Oxford" bound in before letterpress title page.
- Subject Terms:
- Academic costume -- England -- Oxford.Hinton, Isaac Taylor -- Publisher.Oxford (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc.Oxford (England) -- Description and travel.Oxford (England) -- History.Oxford (England) -- Pictorial works.Oxford (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.University of Oxford -- History.University of Oxford -- Pictorial works.
- Lithographs -- 1828.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1828.
YCBA Collections Search
Whittock, N. (Nathaniel), 1791-1860, A topographical and historical description of the university and city of Oxford , 1828
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.