Abbot, Henry, 1768-1840, Antiquities of Rome , 1820
- Antiquities of Rome : comprising twenty-four select views of its principal ruins : illustrated by a panoramic outline of the modern city, taken from the capitol / from drawings by Henry Abbott, Esq., made in the year 1818.
- London : Printed by John Tyler, Rathbone Place, and published by Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, Paternoster Row, 1820.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations ; 61 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsT 179 (Folio B)Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsT 179A (Folio B)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by Henry Abbot, Theodore Henry Fielding, Joshua Gleadah, Daniel Havell, W. Havell & Sons, Samuel Rawle, and Richard Reeve, after Henry Abbot.
"Published in six parts at £1. 1s. each, and, presumably, at £6. 6s. in volume form."--Abbey.
Imprint varies on publisher's printed cover label: "London: Published for the author, at Mr. M'Queen's, No. 72, Newman Street, Oxford Street; and to be had of Messrs. Colnaghi, Cockspur Street; Orme; Rodwell and Martin; and Dickinson, New Bond Street; Sams, St. James's Street; Ackerman [i.e. Ackermann], Strand; Lamb [i.e. Richard Lambe?], Gracechurch Street; Arch, Cornhill; Taylor, Holborn [i.e. Josiah Taylor?]; and Mrs. Stockdale [i.e. Mary Ridgway Stockdale?], Piccadilly. 1820. Tyler, printer, Rathbone Place."
The folded plate is a panorama of Rome, printed on four sheets that have been joined end-to-end.
The text is printed on rectos only.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 179
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, page 325
BAC: British Art Center T 179 copy is the Abbey copy. The plates are hand-colored, except for the panorama. Bound in contemporary limp cloth portfolio, with publisher's printed label on the front cover.
- Plates: The Pyramid of Caius Cestius -- Bridge & fort of St. Angelo -- The Pantheon -- St. Peter's & the Vatican -- Coliseum -- Temple of the Sun & Moon -- Palace of the Caesars -- Arch of Titus -- Temple of Peace -- Temple of Jupiter -- The Temple of Antoninus & Faustina -- Arch of Janus -- Arch of the Goldsmiths -- Temple of Vesta -- Temple of Minerva Medica -- Column of Antonine Piazza Colonna -- Column & Forum of Trajan -- Arch of Constantine -- Coliseum -- Temple of Jupiter, Tonans -- Arch of Septimius Severus -- The Forum of Nerva -- The Temple of Pallas -- The Forum from the Pillar of Phocus.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Italy -- Rome.Architecture -- Rome.Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.Rome -- Antiquities.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1820.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.