Antiquities of Rome : comprising twenty-four select views of its principal ruins : illustrated by a panoramic outline of the modern city, taken from the capitol / from drawings by Henry Abbott, Esq., made in the year 1818.
- London : Printed by John Tyler, Rathbone Place, and published by Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, Paternoster Row, 1820.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations ; 61 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsT 179 (Folio B)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsT 179A (Folio B)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by Henry Abbot, Theodore Henry Fielding, Joshua Gleadah, Daniel Havell, W. Havell & Sons, Samuel Rawle, and Richard Reeve, after Henry Abbot.
"Published in six parts at £1. 1s. each, and, presumably, at £6. 6s. in volume form."--Abbey.
Imprint varies on publisher's printed cover label: "London: Published for the author, at Mr. M'Queen's, No. 72, Newman Street, Oxford Street; and to be had of Messrs. Colnaghi, Cockspur Street; Orme; Rodwell and Martin; and Dickinson, New Bond Street; Sams, St. James's Street; Ackerman [i.e. Ackermann], Strand; Lamb [i.e. Richard Lambe?], Gracechurch Street; Arch, Cornhill; Taylor, Holborn [i.e. Josiah Taylor?]; and Mrs. Stockdale [i.e. Mary Ridgway Stockdale?], Piccadilly. 1820. Tyler, printer, Rathbone Place."
The folded plate is a panorama of Rome, printed on four sheets that have been joined end-to-end.
The text is printed on rectos only.
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, page 325
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 179
BAC: British Art Center T 179 copy is the Abbey copy. The plates are hand-colored, except for the panorama. Bound in contemporary limp cloth portfolio, with publisher's printed label on the front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Italy -- Rome.Architecture -- Rome.Rome (Italy) -- Antiquities.Rome -- Antiquities.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1820.
- Plates: The Pyramid of Caius Cestius
- Bridge & fort of St. Angelo
- The Pantheon
- St. Peter's & the Vatican
- Temple of the Sun & Moon
- Palace of the Caesars
- Arch of Titus
- Temple of Peace
- Temple of Jupiter
- The Temple of Antoninus & Faustina
- Arch of Janus
- Arch of the Goldsmiths
- Temple of Vesta
- Temple of Minerva Medica
- Column of Antonine Piazza Colonna
- Column & Forum of Trajan
- Arch of Constantine
- Temple of Jupiter, Tonans
- Arch of Septimius Severus
- The Forum of Nerva
- The Temple of Pallas
- The Forum from the Pillar of Phocus.