Culinary chemistry : exhibiting the scientific principles of cookery, with concise instructions for preparing good and wholesome pickles, vinegar, conserves, fruit jellies, marmalades, and various other alimentary substances employed in domestic economy, with observations on the chemical constitution and nutritive qualities of different kinds of food : with copper plates / by Fredrick Accum, operative chemist, lecturer on practical chemistry, on mineralogy, and on chemistry applied to the arts and manufactures ; member of the Royal Irish Academy ; fellow of the Linnaean Society; member of the Royal Academy of Sciences, and of the Royal Society of Arts Berlin, &c. &c.
- Additional Title(s):
Accum's culinary chemistry
- London : Published by R. Ackermann, 101, Strand, 1821.
- Physical Description:
- xxii, , 356 (i.e. 336) p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTX651 .A23 1821Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Analysis of various food substances and methods of food preparation. Covers chemical constitution and nutritional qualities of foods, the chemical effects produced by various cooking methods, and good food hygiene.
Spine title: Accum's culinary chemistry.
Printed by C. Green, 15, Leicester Street, Leicester Square.
Title page engraved
Plates are colored aquatints.
Bolton, H.C. Select bibliography of chemistry, I:259
Wellcome cat. of printed books, II, p. 11
BM (compact edition), v. 1, 681
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's blind-stamped light red cloth. Armorial bookplate: Henry Atkinson.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann, R. -- Publisher.Atkinson, Henry -- Bookplate.Cooking.Food -- Composition.Green, C. -- Printer.Nutrition.y1821.
- Aquatints -- 1821.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1821.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.