A practical treatise on gas-light : exhibiting a summary description of the apparatus and machinery best calculated for illuminating streets, houses, and manufactories, with carburetted hydrogen, or coal-gas; with remarks on the utility, safety, and general nature of this new branch of civil economy / by Frederick Accum, operative chemist, lecturer on practical chemistry, on mineralogy, and on chemistry applied to the arts and manufactures; member of the Royal Irish Academy, Fellow of the Linnæn Society, member of the Royal Academy of Sciences of Berlin, &c. &c.
- London : Printed by G. Hayden, Brydges-Street, Covent Garden; for R. Ackermann, 101, Strand; Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown; and Sherwood, Neely, and Jones, Paternoster Row; and J. Hatchard, Piccadilly, 1815.
- Physical Description:
- , iii, , v, , 186 p., VII leaves of plates (2 folded) : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTH7910 .A23 1815Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The adoption of gas lighting in London was largely due to this book. The famous publisher, Mr. R. Ackermann, was one of the earliest to adopt gas lighting; in a letter printed on pages 71-2 he gives an account of his cost inproducting gas for the whole of his establishment and private house, that had been in use since 1811. Cf. Abbey.
"Price-Twelve shillings in board."--Foot of t.p.
Abbey, J.R. Life, 436
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/898910383 http://hdl.handle.net/10079/bibid/3739341 22
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in original brown paper covered boards. Publisher's advertisements, 4 p. tipped in at end, not included in pagination.
- Subject Terms:
- Candles.Gas manufacture and works.Gas-lighting -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Hayden, G. -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1815.
YCBA Collections Search
Accum, Friedrich Christian, 1769-1838, A practical treatise on gas-light , 1815
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.