Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, A fourth book, containing twelve imitations of drawings, of modern carriages , 
A fourth book, containing twelve imitations of drawings, of modern carriages : on a half inch scale to a foot.
- London : Published January 1st, 1797, by R. Ackermann, No. 96. Strand, Corner of Beaufort Buildings, 
- Physical Description:
- 4 p., 12 leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 23 x 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 4Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- In Germany, Ackermann had been trained as a coach-builder. Coming to England as a young man, he spent almost ten years furnishing designs to the principal coach-builders in London.
Ackermann issued a series of 13 books on carriages from 1791 to 1820. See: Ford.
Ford, J. Ackermann, p. 220
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original printed blue wrappers; stitched.
Aquatint engravings of contemporary carriages. Plates 1-3 and 7-11 have from 1 to 3 aquatint or engraved overlay strips tipped on to the plate to show additional features of coach design.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann, R. -- Publisher.Carriages and carts -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Carriages and carts -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Transportation -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1797.
- IIIF Manifest:
- 1. A Compass Perch Coach
- 2. A Crane-Neck Coach
- 3. A Compass Perch Chariot
- 4. A Crane-Neck Chariot
- 5. Crane-Neck Travelling Chariot
- 6. A neat Compass Perch Post Chaise
- 7. A Compass Perch Sociable
- 8. A small and low Crane-Neck Phaeton
- 9. A Straight Perch Phaeton
- 10. A fashionable low Curricle
- 11. A fashionable Single Horse Chaise
- 12. A Round Railed Whiskey.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.