Designs for villas and other rural buildings / by Edmund Aikin, architect ; engraved on thirty-one plates, with plans and explanations ; together with an introductory essay, containing remarks on the prevailing defects of modern architecture and on investigation of the style best adapted for the dwellings of the present times.
- London : Printed for J. Taylor at the Architectural Library, No. 59, High Holborn, 1808.
- Physical Description:
- 23,  p., 31 leaves of plates : ill., plans ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7328 . A35 1808+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Printed by Cox, Son, and Baylis, 75, Great Queen Street.
The elevations (plates 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 20, 21, 23, 24, 26, 28) are executed in aquatint. The plans (plates 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 14, 16, 19, 22, 25, 27) are line-engravings. Plates showing both elevation and ground plan (1, 2, 29, 30, 31) are engraved with the addtion of aquatint to the elevation.
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 4.1
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 2
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Designs and plans.Architecture, Domestic -- England.Cox, Son, and Baylis -- Printer.Dwellings -- Designs and plans.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1808.Taylor, J. -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- 1808.
YCBA Collections Search
Aikin, Edmund, 1780-1820, Designs for villas and other rural buildings , 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.