Abbott, George, 1803-1838, Views of the forts of Bhurtpoore & Weire , 
Views of the forts of Bhurtpoore & Weire / by Lieut. George Abbott, 15th Reg. NI.
- London : Published by J.M. Richardson, 
[London] : Engelmann, Graf, Coindet & Co., 1827.
[London] : W. Birch, 1827.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves, 13 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 32 x 48 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 73 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 73 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Related Content:
- View the catalog record for Abbott's original drawings, reproduced in the present work.
- Title page is lithographed.
Lithographs by William Gauci, P. Mackenzie, J.D. Harding, Paul Gauci, J.S. Templeton, and J.H. Lynch; after George Abbott.
Plates printed by Engelmann, Graf, Coindet & Co.
Text printed by W. Birch, Kensington.
Some of the plates bear the imprint of J.M. Richardson, London.
"A short account of the capture of the forts of Bhurtopoor and Weyre."--Leaf .
With a list of subscribers, leaf .
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is unbound. Laid in contemporary red cloth portfolio. Lithographs are printed on India paper, mounted on larger sheets.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is bound in later green half morocco and green cloth. Includes Abbott's original graphite and wash drawings, bound in preceding the lithographed version of each. The verso of each drawing bears an inscription by Abbott noting its title (often with more details than reproduced on the published lithograph) and, on occasion, the artist's own explanation of the imagery used. The drawings are also cataloged separately (see link herewith).
- Subject Terms:
- Bharatpur (Princely State) -- Pictorial works.Birch, W. -- Printer.Engelmann, Graf, Coindet & Co. -- Printer.Fortification -- India -- Madhya Pradesh -- History -- 19th century -- Pictorial works.India -- History -- British occupation, 1765-1947 -- Pictorial works.India -- Pictorial works.Madhya Pradesh (India) -- History, Military -- Pictorial works.Richardson, J. M. -- Publisher.Wer (India) -- Pictorial works.
Lithographs -- 1827.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.