The costume of China : illustrated in forty-eight coloured engravings / by William Alexander.
- London: : Published by William Miller, Albemarle Street, 1805.
[London] : Printed by W. Bulmer and Co., Cleveland-Row, St. James's, 
- Physical Description:
-  pages,  leaves,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 34 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT1555 .A44 1805+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Added engraved pictorial title page, with imprint dated Nov. 1st 1804.
A leaf of descriptive letterpress follows each plate.
Plates unnumbered; with imprint of G. Nicol or W. Miller as publisher, W. Alexander as engraver, and dated from July 1797 to November 1804.
Plates also published in Bazin de Malpière's La Chine: moeurs, usages, costumes, 2 v., Paris, 1824-1827.
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 74
Kunstbibliothek (Berlin, Germany). Katalog der Lipperheideschen Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), v. 2, p. 358
Hiler, H. Bibliography of costume, p.16
Includes list of subscribers (4 pages following title page); list of plates (called "Index").
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 534
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in 19th century gilt-tooled red morocco. Extra-illustrated. Each plate, including number 1 (the added title page / dedication), is present in two states, (1) the uncolored soft-ground etching, and (2) with the addition of areas of aquatint and hand-coloring. The first plate is tinted with a sepia wash only. Contains two impressions of an unpublished version of the fifth plate, showing a reversal in orientation, differing in some details. Both are before letters, but the first as at the foot a pencilled note: "Plate destroyed no other impressions, I believe, W.A.[William Alexander]." Other extra-illustration includes engraved portraits of the Earl of Macartney and William Alexander; and a contemporary obituary notice of Alexander, inlaid to size. Does not contain publisher's advertisement for Alexander's Costumes of Great Britain, present in some copies.
- Subject Terms:
- Alexander, William, 1767-1816 -- Death and burial.China -- Pictorial works.China -- Social life and customs -- 1644-1912.Costume -- China -- History -- 18th century.
- Subscription lists (Publishing) -- 19th century.
Extra-illustration -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1805.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1805.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.