Picturesque representations of the dress and manners of the English : illustrated in fifty coloured engravings with descriptions.
- London : Printed for John Murray, Albemarle-Street, by W. Bulmer and Co. Cleveland-row, 1814.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves, L leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT737 .P53 1814Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Each of the 50 aquatint engravings is accompanied by a leaf of descriptive letterpress.
Many plates after those published in W.H. Pyne's The costume of Great Britain. Cf. Colas.
Lipperheide and Hiler attribute the plates to William Alexander while Prideaux attributes plates to J.A. Atkinson.
Plates unsigned; have the imprint "Published Jany. 1813, by J. Murray, Albemarle Street."
Earlier issue in 1813 by T. M'Lean. An undated issue printed by James Goodwin for W. Lewis.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 374
Hiler, H. Bibliography of costume, p. 16
Kunstbibliothek (Berlin, Germany). Katalog der Lipperheideschen Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), Gca21
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, p. 325
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in red half roan and marbled boards. Printed paper label on front cover with title within ornamental border: Costume of England. Fifty coloured engravings. Three guineas. Autograph: Mary H. Brewin. 1826.
- Subject Terms:
- Brewin, Mary H. -- Provenance.Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Costume -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs.Murray, John -- Publisher.W. Bulmer and Co. -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1814.
YCBA Collections Search
Picturesque representations of the dress and manners of the English , 1814
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.