Alken, Samuel, 1756-1815, Views of the lakes of Westmoreland and Cumberland , 1812?]
Views of the lakes of Westmoreland and Cumberland / by Alken.
- [London : W. Clarke, 1812?]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : all ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.L1 A45 1812+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Cover title, in gilt, on black paper label with gilt decorative border.
Aquatint engravings by Samuel Alken and C. Apostool (15 plates by Alken, 1 by Apostool); after John Smith, John Emes, and John Laporte
Imprint from plates: Published as the Act directs May 1, 1795, [dates vary, from April 1, 1794 to May 1, 1795] by W. Clarke, New Bond Street, London.
Paper is watermarked (Whatman) 1812. Abbey erroneously gives no watermark.
"These are the plates advertised in the fifth edition (1793) and subsequent editions of West's Guide as 'of a proper size to bind with the Guide', and are frequently found bound in copies of the Guide."--Bicknell.
"16 plates--10s."--Title label on cover.
Bicknell, P. Picturesque scenery of the Lake District, 1752-1855, 31
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 184
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. In original pink card wrappers with title label.
- Subject Terms:
- Clarke, W. -- Publisher.Cumberland (England) -- Pictorial works.Lake District (England) -- Pictorial works.Lakes -- England -- Pictorial works.West, Thomas, d. 1779. Guide to the lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire.Westmorland (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints Hand-colored -- 1812.
- Vale of Lonsdale
- Coniston Lake
- Windermere Lake
- Windermere Lake from Calgarth
- Stock-Gill Force near Ambleside
- Upper Cascade Rydal
- Rydal Water
- Grasmere Lake
- Leathes Water
- Derwent-water, from Castle-crag
- Derwent-water, from Ormathwaite
- Buttermere Water
- Lowes Water
- The Upper end of Ull
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.