Allard, Hugo, approximately 1628-1691, [Chart of the Thames estuary with a view of the English fleet burning in the Medway], 1667
[Chart of the Thames estuary with a view of the English fleet burning in the Medway] [cartographic material].
- t'Amsterdam : by Hugo Allard, in de Kalvertstraet, in de Werelt-Caert, 1667.
- Physical Description:
- 1 map ; 34 x 45 cm, on sheet 45 x 49 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 2lYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Inset: De rivier van Londen.
Selected exhibitions: "The Mapmaker's art : 300 years of British cartography" (Yale Center for British Art, January 17-March 12, 1989).
BAC: British Art Center copy is uncolored.
A general chart of the Thames Estuary, with a view of the burning ships, an account of the action, some commemorative verse and an elaborate allegory centered on the triumphant Michael de Ruyter, the naval officer in charge of the Dutch fleet. The destruction of the English fleet as it lay at anchor off Chatham in June 1667 was to Evelyn "a dishonour never to be wiped out." The Dutch were naturally quick to celebrate their great victory and this illustrated broadsheet was probably run off shortly afterwards.
- Subject Terms:
- Anglo-Dutch War, 1664-1667.De Ruyter, Michael, 1607-1676.Gendt, Willem Joseph, baron van, 1626-1672.Netherlands -- Politics and government.Thames River Estuary (England) -- Maps.
- Maps -- England -- Thames River Estuary.
Engravings -- 1667.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.