The Kafirs illustrated in a series of drawings taken among the Amazulu, Amaponda, and Amakosa tribes : also, portraits of the Hottentot, Malay, Fingo, and other races inhabiting southern Africa ; together with sketches of landscape scenery in the Zulu country, Natal, and the Cape Colony / by George French Angas ...
- Additional Title(s):
Cape of Good Hope and Kaffir Land
- London : Published by J. Hogarth, 5 Haymarket, 1849.
London : Printed by G. Barclay, Castle St, Leicester Sq.
- Physical Description:
- 50,  pages, , 29,  leaves of plates : illustrations, portraits ; 56 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2022 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Manufacture statement from title page verso.
"Part 2. The Cape of Good Hope and Kaffir Land. By G.F. Angas. London : Published by J. Hogarth, Haymarket; William Mackenzie, 48 London Street, Glasgow, and 5 Clerk Street, Edinburgh; and James Ainsworth, 87 & 93 Piccadilly, Manchester."--Publisher's printed wrappers.
"Printed by Hullmandel & Walton"--Foot of final plate.
Lithographs by J. Needham, M & N Hanhart, A. Laby, and B.W. Hawkins. Wood engravings by C.K. Childs.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 339
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 60
Lib. Company. Afro-Americana, 600
BAC Folio A 2022 39: The Abbey copy. Plates are hand-colored. Bound in later red half-morocco and red cloth. Publisher's printed wrapper appears after final plate.
- Subject Terms:
- Africa, Southern -- Pictorial works.Ethnology -- Africa, Southern.Zulu (African people) -- Pictorial works.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Angas, George French, 1822-1886, The Kafirs illustrated in a series of drawings taken among the Amazulu, Amaponda, and Amakosa tribes , 1849
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.