The plan of a dictionary of the English language; addressed to the Right Honourable Philip Dormer, Earl of Chesterfield ...
- London, Printed for J. and P. Knapton ...
- Physical Description:
- 1 p.l., 34 p. 26 cm. (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPE1617 J7 J7 1755Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Tinker 1301: First ed., first state; p. 34, line 1 ends "and in". Bookplate of Frank Brewer Bemis.
BEIN Im J637 747p copy 1: Page 34, line 1 ends "and in the".
BEIN Im J637 747p copy 3: Page 34, line 1 ends "and in". Stabbed, in brownish gray paper wrappers. Height 27 cm., in case 28 cm.
BEIN Im J637 747p copy 2: Page 34, line 1 ends "and in".
BEIN Im J637 747pb: Collation varies: 1 p.l., 37 p.; height 21 cm.; signatures: pi1 A-D⁴ E⁴(-E4); (8vo) "Non-Chesterfield" variant?
BEIN 1978 +187: The so-called "non-Chesterfield" variant, in which the words "To the Right Honourable Philip Dormer, earl of Chesterfield" are omitted before "My lord" on p.1, and quire A is printed from a different setting of type. -- cf. R.F. Metzdorf, The Library, ser. 4, v. 19.
BEIN 1977 2757: Collation varies: 1 p.l., 37 p.; height 23 cm.; (8vo); the so-called "non-Chesterfield" variant--cf. Metzdorf, R.F. The Library, ser. 4, v. 19.
BAC: Collation varies: 1 p.l., 37 p.; height 21 cm.; signatures [pi]1 A-D⁴ E⁴(-E4); (8vo) "Non-Chesterfield" variant? This copy is the reprint of 1755.
Signatures: pi1 A-D⁴ E1.
Tinker lib., 1301
Courtney & Smith. Bibl. of Samuel Johnson, p. 20
- Subject Terms:
- Bemis, Frank Brewer, 1861-1935 -- Bookplate.English language -- Lexicography.Knapton (J. and P.) -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784, The plan of a dictionary of the English language;
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.