Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784, The Prince of Abissinia , 1759
- The Prince of Abissinia : a tale in two volumes.
- Alternate Title(s):
- London : Printed for R. and J. Dodsley ... and W. Johnston ..., 1759.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. ; 15 cm. (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3529 A1 1759Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (Im J637 759, copy 2)
- BEIN Tinker 1313: First edition, first state. Bookplate: Benjamin Hatley Foote. Autograph: Grace Atkinson Little Oliver; George Daniel.
BEIN Im J637 759 copy 1: First edition, first state. Bound in 1 v. Autograph: Anne Richardson.
BEIN Im J637 759 copy 2: First edition, first state. In ms. inside front cover of v. 1: "From the author". From the library of Jerome Kern.
BEIN Tinker 1314: First edition, second state. Vol. 1: 17 cm.; v. 2: 15 cm. Autograph: Jane Austen. Bookplate: Harold Greenhill; A. Edward Newton; Francis Richard Charles Grant; Harry Bache Smith.
BAC: First edition, first state.
BEIN 2000 2295: First edition, second state. 17 cm. Uncut. Original wrappers. From the library of Herman W. Liebert.
BEIN 2004 85: First edition, second state. 16 cm. Bookplates of Henry Francis Redhead Yorke and Edmund William Gosse. Binder's stamp: F. Bedford.
BEIN ELIZ 020: First edition, first state. Binder's stamp: Bound by Riviere & Son. Interior dentelles.
Tinker calls this the 1st ed. and notes two states: the first state has "Contents. Vol. II." at the head of leaf A2 in v. 2; the second state has "Contents of the second volume."
Tinker lib., 1313
Tinker lib., 1314
Courtney & Smith. Bibl. of Samuel Johnson (1925 ed.), p. 87
Fleeman, J.D. Johnson, 59.4R/1
ESTC (RLIN) T139510
- Subject Terms:
- Austen, Jane, 1775-1817 -- Autograph.Daniel, George, 1789-1864 -- Autograph.Dodsley, (R. and J.) -- Publisher.Foote, Benjamen Hatley -- Bookplate.Gosse, Edmund William, 1849-1928 -- Bookplate.Grant, Francis Richard Charles -- Bookplate.Greenhill, Harold -- Bookplate.Johnson, William C. -- Pres. inscription to Catharine Richmond, 1827.Kern, Jerome, 1885-1945 -- Ownership.Liebert, Herman W. -- Ownership.Newton, A. Edward (Alfred Edward), 1864-1940 -- Bookplate.Oliver, Grace Atkinson Little, 1844-1899 -- Autograph.Richardson, Anne -- Autograph.Richmond, Catharine -- Pres. inscription inscription from William C. Johnson, 1827.Smith, Harry Bache, 1860-1936 -- Bookplate.Yorke, Henry Francis Redhead, 1842-1914 -- Bookplate.
- Binders' stamps (Binding) -- F. Bedford.
Binders' stamps (Binding) -- Riviere & Son.
Dentelle bindings (Binding)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.