IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784, A journey to the Western Islands of Scotland, 1775
A journey to the Western Islands of Scotland.
- London : Printed for W. Strahan and T. Cadell in the Strand, 1775.
- Physical Description:
- , 384 p. ; 22 cm. (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA880 H4 J6 1775Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- BEIN Im J637 775ah: 1st state. Uncut, in original boards. 23 cm.
BEIN Tinker 1358: 1st state. Bookplate of Chauncey Brewster Tinker. Ms. notes and autograph of James Boswell. Autograph of Lord James B. Monboddo.
BAC: 1st state. Inscription by James Boswell on front free endpaper: "This Book was sent to me by its authour [sic] Dr. Samuel Johnson to be presented to the Laird of Rasay [sic]."
BEIN 2000 2534: 2nd state. Ms. note of Mr. Liebert. From the library of Herman W. Liebert.
The second of two editions (described by Todd as edition B) printed in London in 1775. Todd notes two states of edition B. The first state has no cancels, 6 lines of errata on leaf [A]2, and p.  signed "B." The second state has no cancels, 6 lines of errata on leaf [A]2, and p.  signed "*B."
Signatures: [A]² B-2B⁸.
Tinker Library, 1358
Courtney & Smith. Johnson, p. 122-123
Adam, R.B. Johnson, II, p. 21
Todd, W.B. Johnson's journey, (SB VI (1954): 247-254)
English short title catalogue, T83702
Fleeman, J.D. Johnson, 75.1J/2a
- Subject Terms:
- Boswell, James, 1740-1795 -- Autograph.Boswell, James, 1740-1795 -- Ms. notes.Boswell, James, 1740-1795 -- Presentation inscription to the Laird of Raasay [John MacLeod].Cadell, T. -- Publisher.Hebrides (Scotland) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Liebert, Herman W. -- Ms. notes.Macleod, John -- Presentation inscription from James Boswell.Monboddo, James Burnett, Lord, 1714-1799 -- Autograph.Scotland -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Strahan, A. -- Publisher.Tinker, Chauncey Brewster, 1876-1963 -- Bookplate.Western Isles (Scotland) -- Early works to 1800.
- Annotations (Provenance) -- 18th century.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 20th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.