Hanway, Jonas, 1712-1786, State of chimney-sweepers young apprentices , 1773
- State of chimney-sweepers young apprentices : shewing the wretched condition of the distrest boys, the ill conduct of such matters as do notobserve the obligations of indentures, the necessity of a strict enquiryin order to support the civil and religious rights of these apprentices : to encourage good masters and regulate the trade, that the useful occupation of chimney-sweepers may be considered as an object worthy of attention: and the humanity of the nation be no longer violated in the persons of these boys.
- [London] : Sold at the Pamphlet-Shops, 1773.
- Physical Description:
- 58, 1 leaf of plates (folded) : ill. ; 16 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHD8039 C49 H35 1773Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Melville and Naomi StoneAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC: Bound with: The oeconomy of human life / translated from an Indian manuscript ; written by an Ancient Bramin. Twelfth edition. London : Printed for J. Dodsley, 1772.
BAC: Bound in full red morocco, gilt back, gilt borders of roses and thistles on sides. Initials M I (Miss James?) in center of front cover.
At foot of t.p.: Price three pence.
- Subject Terms:
- Apprentices -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Child labor -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.Chimney sweeps -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Dodsley, J. -- Printer.Hanway, Jonas, 1712-1786 -- Presc. insc. to Miss James, 1773.James, Miss -- Presc. insc. from Jonas Hanway, 1773.Stone, Melville E., -- Bookplate.
- Wood engravings -- 1772.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.