The survey of London. Contayning the originall, increase, moderne estate, and government of that city, methodically set downe. With a memoriall of those famouser acts of charity, which for publicke and pious uses have beene bestowed by many worshipfull citizens and benefactors ... Begunne first by the paines and industry of Iohn Stovv in the yeere 1598. Afterwards inlarged by the care and diligence of A.M. in the yeere 1618. And now completely finished by the study and labour of A.M., H.D. and others, this present yeere 1633. Whereunto, besides many additions (as appeares by the contents) are annexed divers alphabeticall tables ...
- London, Printed by Elizabeth Pvrslovv, and are to be sold by N. Bovrne, 1633.
- Physical Description:
- , 534, 527-652, 655-770, 773-939,  p. front., illus. 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process DA680.S76 S87 1633+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN DA680 +S75 1633 copy 1: Imperfect: p. 445-456 wanting. Bookplates of John Brian Smith (2 versions, one with "Jack") and Henry Steele (armorial on inside front cover and name on inside back cover. Autographs of Jack [i.e. John Brian] Smith, London 1958 and John B. Rusford?, 1790. Presentation inscription to Madeleine Wyndham from Wilfrid Scawen Blunt, 1901.
BEIN DA680 +S75 1633 copy 2: Variant copy. Page 623 numbered correctly, text printed from different setting of type; p. 778-779 misnumbered 776-777; 2T3 misprinted 2T5.
BEIN DA680 +S75 1633 copy 2: Imperfect: frontispiece and dedication (1st, 3d, and 4th prelim. leaves) wanting; t.p. and p. 261-262 slightl mutilated.
A.M. and H.D = Anthony Munday and Humphrey Dyson.
Errors in paging.
Signatures: A⁸ B-2X⁶ 2Y1-2Y5 (2Y)⁴ 2Y6 2Z-4K⁶ 4L-4M⁴ 4N⁶.
Head and tail pieces.
STC (2nd ed.) 23345
ESTC (RLIN) S117597
BAC: British Art Center copy in contemporary brown panelled calf; rebacked. Ex-Libris: Francis Barchard.
- Subject Terms:
- Blunt, Wilfrid Scawen, 1840-1922 -- Presentation inscription to M. Wyndham.London (England) -- Description and travel.London (England) -- History -- 16th century.London (England) -- History -- To 1500.Smith, John Brian -- Autograph.Smith, John Brian -- Bookplate.Steele, Henry -- Bookplate.Wyndham, Madeline
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.