Milton, John, 1608-1674, The paradise lost of John Milton , 1846
- The paradise lost of John Milton : with illustrations by John Martin.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Paradise lost.
- London : Charles Whittingham, 1846.
- Physical Description:
- , 373,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3560 1846+ Copy 1 OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3560 1846+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Charles R. CaldwellAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Tinker lib., 1576
Engravings by and after John Martin.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in brown half leather with marbled paper covered boards.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 has 30 of Martin's plates. Bound in red half morocco with marbled paper covered boards. Formerly owned by William Randolph Hearst. Extra illustrated with numerous prints, bound in and laid to size, by Richard Westall, Fuseli and others. Also bound in are 12 drawings in graphite and pen and ink (one with wash), illustrating book V of Paradise lost. The drawings have been attributed to Richard Westall, but none bears clear correspondence to Westall's published illustrations.
- Subject Terms:
- Adam (Biblical figure) -- Poetry.Bible. Genesis. -- History of Biblical events -- Poetry.Christian poetry, English -- Early modern, 1500-1700.Eve (Biblical figure) -- Poetry.Fall of man -- Poetry.Hearst, William Randolph, 1863-1951 -- Provenance.
- Mezzotints -- 1846.
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.