West, Thomas, d. 1779, A guide to the lakes in Cumberland, Westmoreland, and Lancashire ... , 1821
- A guide to the lakes in Cumberland, Westmoreland, and Lancashire ... / by the author of The antiquities of Furness ...
- The eleventh edition.
- Kendal : Printed for W. Pennington, and sold by J. Richardson ..., 1821.
- Physical Description:
- v, , 312 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., map (folded) ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 L1 W46 1821Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by Robert Havell & Son after I. [John?] Feary.
Map engraved by Cornelius Paas and N. Wolletern.
Printed by J. Kilner, Kendal.
Includes on p. 12 a description of the "landscape mirror", or Claude glass, with instructions on its usage: "The landscape mirror will also furnish much amusement in this tour. Where the objects are great and near, it removes them to a distance, and shows them in the soft colours of nature, and in the most regular perspective the eye can perceive, or science demonstrate."
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 193.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy.
- Subject Terms:
- Claude glasses.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1821.Kilner, J. -- Printer.Lake District (England) -- Description and travel.Norcliffe, E. B. -- Bookplate, 1881.Norcliffe, N. -- Bookplate.Pennington, W. -- Publisher.Richardson, J. -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1821.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.