A balloon view of London [cartographic material] : (as seen from Hampstead).
- London : Published ... May 1st, 1851, by Banks & Co., 4 Little Queen Street, Holborn : 
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : hand-colored ; 62.0 x 105.9 cm, on sheet 69.8 x 109.5 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5754.L7 A3 1851 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsG5754.L7 A3 1851 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:8,448] -- (W 0°11ʹ24ʺ--W 0°1ʹ12ʺ/N 51°31ʹ48ʺ--N 51°28ʹ12ʺ).
- Bird's eye view of North London across the river towards Surrey with the Isle of Dogs at the left end and High Street Kensington at the right.
Printed cover label, on separate sheet: "A balloon view of London, shewing the great Crystal Palace, all the public buildings, railway stations, parks, palaces, squares, streets, &c., with the names engraved thereon." The label includes "A view of St. Paul's, as seen from Hampstead, exhibiting 8 sque. miles," excerpted from the map.
The second edition, according to Hyde. The imprint of the first edition does not include Effingham Wilson.
First published on the opening day of the Great Exhibition in 1851.
Relief shown pictorially.
Hyde, R. Printed maps of Victorian London, 1851-1900, 3, edition 2
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 588
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Backed in linen. In green patterned folder, with printed title label on front cover.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 in original blue folder, with printed title label on front cover. Autograph: N.S. Dodge.
- Subject Terms:
- Banks & Co. -- Publisher.Crystal Palace (Great Exhibition, 1851, London, England)Dodge, N. S. -- Autograph.Great Exhibition (1851 : London, England)London (England) -- Aerial views.London (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc.London (England) -- Maps.Wilson, Effingham -- Publisher.
- Aerial views -- England -- London -- 1851.
Pictorial maps -- England -- London -- 1851.
Aquatints -- 1851.
Steel engravings -- 1851.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.