A booke of archetecture containing seeling peeces, chimny peeces and seuerall sorts vsefull for carpenters, joyners, caruers, painters / inuvented by I. Barbet.
- Additional Title(s):
Livre d'architecture d'autels et de cheminées. English
- London : Are to be sould by Robert Pricke in Whitecross Street, 1670.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : chiefly ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA3310 .B3713 1670+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "The title-page and all but one of the eleven plates are accurately copied from J. Barbet's 'Livre d'Architecture d'autels et de Cheminées', Paris, 1633. ... The exception is a ceiling design from Jean Le Pautre. Added to the 1670 edition are seven plates by Barbet ..., six ceiling designs by Le Pautre, and five plates of fountains from Francesco Fanelli's 'Varie Architecture' (1661). Almost all of 'The Booke of Architecture' was incorporated in Pricke's "Architect's Store-House' (1674)"--Harris.
Engraved throughout, including title page.
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 27
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed.), B697C
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, v. 1, p. 108
English short title catalogue, R215782
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later half calf with marbled boards; with the gilt-stamped leather armorial of the Earl of Chesterfield on the front and back covers.
- Subject Terms:
- Architectural rendering -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Domestic -- England -- 17th century.Ceilings -- Early works to 1800.Chesterfield, Earl of -- Binding.Decoration and ornament, Architectural -- Early works to 1800.Mantels -- Early works to 1800.Pattern book -- England -- Early works to 1800.Pricke, Robert -- Publisher.
- Engravings -- 1670.
Armorial bindings (Provenance)
Armorial bindings (Binding)
Pattern books -- England -- 1670.
YCBA Collections Search
Barbet, Jean, 1597?-1654, A booke of archetecture containing seeling peeces, chimny peeces and seuerall sorts vsefull for carpenters, joyners, caruers, painters , 1670
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.