Sketches by Boz : illustrative of every-day life, and every-day people : with forty illustrations / by George Cruikshank.
- Additional Title(s):
Sketches by Boz
- New ed. / complete.
- London : Chapman and Hall, 186 Strand, 1839.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 526 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4570 .A1 1839Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Gloria ScheuerView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- BEIN Osborn pd46: Interleaved copy, expanded to 2 v., with numerous ms. notes by R.H. Shepherd, and a preface by him, "A monograph on 'Sketches by Boz'": 7 p. at front of v.1. Shepherd has compared this ed. (the first octavo ed.) with the 3 v. ed. of 1836, and with the serial issues, and notes each of the numerous variant readings.
BEIN 1975 1311: Bookplate and stamp of William Inglis Morse.
BEIN Gimbel/Dickens A7 1: Bookplate of George Barr McCutcheon. Ms. annotations.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in half calf with marbled boards, with gilt edges. Binder's label of A. Winstanley, Salisbury, England.
By Charles Dickens, with etched illustrations by Cruikshank.
"Whiting, Beaufort House, Strand."--T.p. verso and colophon.
With an added engraved title page.
Yale University. Dickens and Dickensiana, A7, 1st copy
Eckel, J.C. Dickens, p. 14-16
Cohn, A.M. George Cruikshank, 234
- Subject Terms:
- Chapman and Hall -- Publisher.Etching -- Specimens -- 1839.McCutcheon, George Barr, 1866-1928 -- Bookplate.Morse, William Inglis, b. 1874 -- Bookplate.Morse, William Inglis, b. 1874 -- Stamp.Scheuer, Gloria -- Provenance.Shepherd, Richard Herne, 1842-1895 -- Ms. notes.Whiting -- Printer.Winstanley, A. -- Bookbinder. (BACRB)
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.