Airopaidia : containing the narrative of a balloon excursion from Chester, the eighth of September, 1785, taken from minutes made during the voyage : hints on the improvement of balloons, and mode of inflation by steam : means to prevent their descent over water : occasional enquiries into the state of the atmosphere, favouring their direction : with various philosophical observations and conjectures. To which is subjoined, mensuration of heights by the barometer, made plain : with extensive tables. The whole serving as an introduction to aërial navigation : with a copious index / by Thomas Baldwin, Esq. A. M.
- Additional Title(s):
- Chester : Printed for the author, by J. Fletcher; and sold by W. Lowndes, No. 77, Fleet-street, London; J. Poole, Chester; and other booksellers, 1786.
- Physical Description:
- , viii, , 360 [i.e. 361],  p.,  folded leaves of plates : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsTL620.B35 A37 1786Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Half-title: Airopaidia: or Aërial recreation.
Contains the first aerial views ever printed, representing drawings made by Baldwin from the air.
Engravings by James Heath, Sharp and William Angus; after Thomas Baldwin, Richard Newton and Thomas Stothard.
"Price, in boards, 7s. 6d."--Foot of t.p.
The roman pagination begins with p.IIII on a recto.
Page  misnumbered 360.
English short title catalogue, T93708.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 233
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 386
Selected exhibitions: “Pleasures and Pastimes" (Yale Center for British Art, February 21 - April 29, 1990).
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in full tree calf. Inscribed: Lunardo 66 pages, Baldwin 360, 426 total. Inscribed on recto of second free end-paper: Eliza Heath.
- Subject Terms:
- Aeronautics -- Early works to 1900.Balloons -- Early works to 1800.Etching -- Specimens -- 1786.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1786.Fletcher, J. -- Printer.Heath, Eliza -- Autograph.Lowndes, W. -- Bookseller.Poole, J. -- Bookseller.
- IIIF Manifest: