French scenery : from drawings made in 1819 / by Captain Batty of the Grenadier Guards.
- Additional Title(s):
European scenery, France
- London : Published by Rodwell & Martin, New Bond Street 1822.
- Physical Description:
-  p., 64 (i.e. 65) leaves of plates : ill., maps, plans ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE1724 .B375 1822+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE1724 .B375 1822+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engraved title page.
Half-title: European scenery, France.
Printed by Thomas Davison, Whitefriars.
Each plate accompanied by page of text. English and French text on recto and verso of accompanying page.
Engravings by Charles Askey, Charles Heath, Edward Finden, Edward Goodall, Robert Wallis, Samuel Lacey, Charles Westwood, Edward John Roberts, J. Lacy, S. Porter, Samuel Mitan, John Rolfe, George James Corbould, J. C. Edwards, Henry Le Keux, and Edward Blore; after Robert Batty.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is a large paper copy with plates printed on India paper in two states: proofs before letters and after letters. Bound in green gilt-tooled morocco binding, with red watered-silk endpapers. Binder's ticket on verso of first free endpaper: Bound by Dawson & Lewis, 5 Richmonds Buildings, Dean Street, Soho. Owner's label: E.M. Martineau. Copy 2 is 29 cm. Bound in contemporary maroon half morocco and marbled boards. Bookplate: James Frothingham Hunnewell. Lacks half-title.
- Subject Terms:
- Davison, Thonas -- Printer.Dawson & Lewis -- Bookbinder.France -- Description and travel.France -- Pictorial works.Hunnewell, James Frothingham -- Bookplate.Martineau, E. M. -- Bookplate.Rodwell & Martin -- Publisher.
- Steel engravings -- 1822.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.