Bellamy, D. (Daniel), 1687-, Ethic amusements , 1770]
- Ethic amusements / by Mr. Bellamy, formerly of St. John's College, Oxford ; revised by his son D. Bellamy, Chaplain of Kew in Surry.
- [London : s.n., 1770]
- Physical Description:
- , 86,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3318.B325 E84 1770Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Illustrations engraved by George Bickham. Head-pieces by Charles Grignion after Samuel Wale; several also by Georg Bickham.
"The impression of this work consists of only five hundred copies, viz. -- one hundred on writing paper, for those names marked with asterisks.----Four hundred on common paper ... July 1770"--13th prelim. leaf.
The address to the reader is dated July 1770, as is the 7-page list of subscribers.
Each of the 27 fables by Fénelon is preceded by a plate bearing engraved illustrations and letterpress introductory verse.
Title page engraved.
Issued as an appendix to 'Ethic amusements', published in 1768. Cf. ESTC.
The prophecy: an ode -- Ode to her Majesty -- Ode to her Royal Highness the Princess Dowager of Wales -- Sonnet to his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales -- Ethic tales and fables ... by Francois de Salignac de la Motte Fenelon ... from the French. By D. Bellamy.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in half morocco and marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Bonnell, James -- Bookplate.Engraving -- 1770.Fables -- Early works to 1800.
- Fables -- 1770.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.